How to Jump Start a Car
It’s likely you need to jump start your car battery if your vehicle won’t turn over. If you’re in the Saskatoon area, learn more with this guide from Mainline Chrysler on how to properly jump start a car if your battery’s still relatively new.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
Another vehicle and a set of jumper cables are essential for the proper way to jump start a car if a jump start car service like AAA isn’t available. Once you’re set, follow these steps:
- Have the car with the good battery park facing the other vehicle and make sure it’s turned off. Engage parking brakes on both vehicles.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries, then remove the plastic hoods to expose the battery terminals on each vehicle.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals and make sure they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- Connect the final clamp to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is hooked up securely, start the vehicle’s engine with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
- Once the dead vehicle has been jump-started, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order of that detailed above, then shut off the car that was used to help jump-start the dead car.
- Keep the engine running on the restarted vehicle for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the weak battery doesn’t die again. Consult your owner’s manual for more info on recommended times.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
If your car won’t jump start, you may need a battery replacement, or it may be a sign of a more serious problem. Take these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- If you try and start the car but only hear a clicking sound, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Mainline Chrysler near Regina for a replacement.
- If the car’s electrical systems turn on, but the engine fails to turn over, the problem could be a number of issues. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. It’s worth bringing your vehicle to a service centre to diagnose the issue.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump to allow the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Mainline Chrysler for Reliable Auto Service
If your battery is nearing the end of its life, visit our service centre near Swift Current for jump start car battery instruction, or a replacement. Whether you need help with a new battery or an oil change, we’re here for you. Our service centre is located just a short trip from North Battleford, so stop by today or contact us with any questions.
More From Mainline Chrysler
On Sunday, February 6th, Canadians took to their couches, armed with snacks, beers and good friends and family to watch the Super Bowl LI. From the start, it looked like the Atlanta Falcons were going for victory, but in a surprise turn of events, the New England Patriots won with 34 – 28 over the…
Dodge RAM trucks are the longest lasting pickup trucks on the market. And when it comes to Dodge RAM trucks for sale in SK, Mainline Chrysler is the clear choice. With a massive selection of models and trims to choose from at Mainline Chrysler such as the RAM 1500, RAM 2500, and RAM Longhorn, you’re bound to find…
For many, the start of a new year means getting behind the wheel of a new vehicle. Whether it’s a car, truck, or SUV that you choose, the idea of trading in your older model for something a little more special is bound to be exciting. At Mainline Chrysler, we see plenty of hot new models entering our dealership lot. We even…